SEO

June 20, 2009

Say Amen! [GOSPEL DOC]

It was interesting how Mother Smith mentioned that man was trying to touch her but she kept singing/ministering to him until he was in tears - wow - Zella Jackson Price was just a little part of the movie, but she was the brightest star among all those greats. I've listened to her recording of this song since I saw the movie when it first came out and I'm brought to tears every time. I've also been very disappointed that there doesn't seem to be more recordings of her. The video sound isn't as good as the recording you can get from other sources. Oh yes...Wow, I am absolutely and belatedly in awe of Zella. She is a powerhouse! I am reminded of all those strong, gifted vocalists I grew up with in Southern Baptist churches. Lord knows, she brings it and anyone can tell that she means it when she proclaims "I'm Happy!" Hard to believe this is over 20 y/o footage, but what a great moment in time to be captured for posterity. I thank Angels in America's Flotilla Debarge for turning me on to Zella's magic. You are indeed his child. Sang, Zella, sang.
This was an excellent documentary.
Before i saw this years back i have to admit i was not too familiar with anyone other than Thomas Dorsey and Roberta Martin.
Glad i found out about these artist.