SEO

April 27, 2009

Noah Creshevsky: Great Performances (1978 tape wizardry music concrete electronica)

Thanks to experimental BBC Radio 3 music shows (think "Mixing It' et al) one can discover some unexpected and thrilling left-field tunes. Around the same time as I was knocked-out by Negativland and plunderphonics, I got my first taste of the mesmerizing Noah Creshevsky. Based in New York and a celebrated figure from the electronic underground, Creshevsky is truly a master of found sounds and tape manipulation. "Great Performances" from 1978 never fails to raise a smile, yet reveals complex, intriguing details with repeated listens.... Accompanying Creshevsky's wondrous creation is a freaky (possibly great?) performance from an unknown 70s German variety show. I don't know where I came across this footage, but the car-mime is done with great relish by the dungaree-wearing hipsters, despite slipping in and out of the added LSD-edit haze.