SEO

August 14, 2009

Can anyone help me with info on Lynette ("Squeaky") Fromme - I'm doing auditions for Uni and one of the pieces that I'd like to perform is Fromme's monologue. It is this one...THIS IS FUCKING GOLD


Topic: Can anyone help me with info on Lynette ("Squeaky") Fromme  (Read 3995 times)
jessjess
FTC Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2


I Love Sondheim.com!


View Profile
« on: November 08, 2004, 05:21:14 AM »

I'm doing auditions for uni and one of the pieces that I'd like to perform is Fromme's monologue. It is this one:

I was like you once. Lost. Confused.
A piece of shit. Then I met Charlie. . . I was sitting on the beach in Venice. I’d just had a big fight with my daddy about, I don’t know, my eye make-up or the bombing of Cambodia. He said I was a drug addict and a whore and I should get out of his house forever –
I went down to the beach and sat down on the sand and cried. I felt like I was disappearing. Like the whole world was dividing into two parts. Me, and everybody else. And then this guy came down the beach, this dirty-looking little elf. He stopped in front of me and smiled this twinkly devil smile and said, ‘Your daddy kicked you out.’ He knew!
‘Your daddy kicked you out!’ How could he know? My daddy didn’t tell him, so who could’ve?
God. God sent this dirty-looking little elf to save a little girl lost on a beach. He smiled again and touched my hair and off he went. And for a minute I just watched him go. Then I ran and caught his hand, and till they arrested him for stabbing Sharon Tate, I never let it go.

I've looked at the vocal score and listened to the cd. I've also ordered the libretto (I don't know if I'l get it in time) but as far as I know there is no way I'm going to actually see the show performed.

I'd like to know information about how and where this monologue fits into the play, what kind of person Fromme is, how old she was/is at the moment in time this monologue takes place, how she was feeling before, during and after the monologue, how any parts of the monologue affect her, was she close to her father, did Charlie say "Your daddy kicked you out" in a malicious or kind way, etc, etc.

I know little details, like that Charlie is a murderer of some kind, she thinks he's the messiah and i think i read somewhere that the Venice she refers to is in California and not in Europe.

Basically any information that would assist me in performing this monologue will definitely be appreciated. Thanks!


Logged
mrsmig
FTC God
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 9,337



View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 05:37:10 AM »

Well, for starters, "Charlie" is the infamous Charles Manson and Squeaky was a member of his "Family".  The Manson Family was responsible for the horrific stabbing murders of pregnant actress Sharon Tate (wife of director Roman Polanski) and six others during a killing spree in August of 1969.  Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi is the definite book on the murders and also on the Manson group.  You should definitely read it - it would be very helpful in understanding the relationship between Charles Manson and the members of his cult.

There is also a whole website devoted to Squeaky at http://www.squeakyfromme.org/.  There's also a Charles Manson website at http://www.charliemanson.com/home.htm.

Since our own GypsyDiva is currently performing the role of Sara Jane Moore (who is the other person in the scene from which you're taking your monologue), she can probably give you some further insights.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 05:39:39 AM by mrsmig » Logged
Dr. Pangloss
FTC God
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5,337


Gods of the theatre, smile on us!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 06:15:30 AM »

After seeing Assassins I became fascinated with the lives of these people. There is a TON of info on Squeaky Fromme online. Just type her name into google, and you'll get websites with old photos, old letters, court transcripts, current photos, all kinds of stuff.

As far as seeing the show, depending on where you live, as Donna mentioned, GypsyDiva is in a production of it and perhaps you could see it.

The show is very weird in its time structure. It doesn't really have a time period, as you'll have figures such as Charles Guitteau, John Wilkes Booth and John Hinckley in scenes together. John Hinckley and Squeaky sing the song "Unworthy of Your Love" together, and their events were a decade apart. So, I believe that all of the characters are at a stand-still at the ages at which they assassinated or attempted to assassinate a president (especially since some of them were not given the chance to get any older after the fact). You can look up that information to see how old Squeaky is at this time.

Hope this helps!


Logged

l'l'l'l l'l'l l'l'l'l
~David
Guiteau4Ambassador
FTC Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 16


"It is a political necessity. . ."


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 11:51:08 AM »

I have an article that was written about Fromme in TIME magazine the week of the assassination that might have some useful info in it. I can type that up for you tonight, if you'd like.

I also have a short interview that was done with Squeaky after the assassination where she talks a bit about her exact motive. It's pretty interesting.


Logged
jessjess
FTC Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2


I Love Sondheim.com!


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 06:39:04 AM »

Did Squeaky help murder the people, assist the murderers or wasn't a part of the family at the time of the killing spree? Thanks for the name of the book, I'll try to get a hold of it.

Sadly I'm in Australia so I can't get to any of the shows  Cry but one day I plan on seeing it. As I've mentioned, I have listened to the cast recording, and was really drawn into the people and their stories (even though they may not be completely accurate).

If you have the time I would be interested in reading the magazine article and interview.

Thanks for your help guys! It is very useful. If you think of anything else please tell me.  Grin


Logged
mrsmig
FTC God
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 9,337



View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 09:40:02 AM »

Squeaky did not take active part in the Tate/LaBianca killings, although there is speculation that the Family might have been responsible for other killings and she might have been a part of that.  She was most definitely part of the Manson Family at the time of the murders, and was considered the "alpha female" of the group.


Logged
JJPeachum
FTC God
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4,542


Il n'y a pas de Youkali...


View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 06:22:44 PM »

I have an article that was written about Fromme in TIME magazine the week of the assassination that might have some useful info in it. I can type that up for you tonight, if you'd like.

I also have a short interview that was done with Squeaky after the assassination where she talks a bit about her exact motive. It's pretty interesting.
Guiteau4Ambassador, I'm giving you karma, just because your screen name rocks so much.


Logged

It was like a knife in his heart when she stuck that fork in his back...
David in SA
FTC God
*****
Online Online

Posts: 1,978


Everyday it's a-getting closer... Love like yours


View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »

Lynette ("Squeaky") Fromme will be released on parole this month. Some of the interesting bits from the article on CNN:

Quote from: CNN
According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, Fromme, now 60, is set to be released on parole August 16....

In a 1987 interview with CNN affiliate WCHS, Fromme, then housed in West Virginia, recalled the president "had his hands out and was waving ... and he looked like cardboard to me. But at the same time, I had ejected the bullet in my apartment and I used the gun as it was."

She said she knew Ford was in town and near her, "and I said, 'I gotta go and talk to him,' and then I thought, 'That's foolish. He's not going to stop and talk to you.' People have already shown you can lay blood in front of them and they're not, you know, they don't think anything of it. I said, 'Maybe I'll take the gun,' and I thought, 'I have to do this. This is the time.' "

She said it never occurred to her that she could wind up in prison. Asked whether she had any regrets, Fromme said, "No. No, I don't. I feel it was fate." However, she said she thought that her incarceration was "unnecessary" and that she couldn't see herself repeating her offense.

"My argument to the jury was, if she wanted to kill him, she would have shot him," John Virga, a Sacramento attorney appointed to defend Fromme, told CNN on Tuesday. "She'd been around guns. And let's be realistic: We know the Manson family, at least some of them, are killers." ....

 Virga said he told the jury that Fromme assaulted Ford, but did not attempt to assassinate him. If Fromme had killed the president, no one would have listened to her, he said. "She didn't want people to think she was a kook."

And she wasn't, he said, recalling that Fromme was very cooperative during her trial and describing her as "a bright, intelligent young woman" from a middle-class family. "It's just hard to imagine how she got all caught up with Manson," he said.

Fromme wanted to be heard on issues including the environment, he said. "She had certain causes that she wanted to talk about. But first and foremost in her mind was always Manson."

Explaining herself after the attempt, according to the book "Real Life at the White House," Fromme said, "Well, you know, when people treat you like a child and pay no attention to the things you say, you have to do something."

Later days
David