SEO

March 29, 2018

"Shoot Low Sheriff, I'm Ridin' a Shetland" -- Jerry Lee Lewis (orig. attributed to Bob Wills)










Shetland ponies are short. They needed to shoot low so the bullets didn't just whiz over their heads.


Satire. It is hilarious. It must be a very funny book. Think of the image of cowboys riding those little ponies they pose kids on at carnivals. Fantastic title. 






 

Classic western movie

Besides Jerry Lee Lewis, 

Who Said, 

"Shoot Low Sheriff, He's Riding a Shetland"?

 



Are you definitely sure that this line derives from a movie? The references I found all point to a classic country music record as the origin of that quotation.

Scriptor











What scriptor was onto was correct.

Your quote is by Bob Wills, who likes to throw that phrase into different songs he sings along with his band, The Texas Playboys.

Looking him up on IMDB, both he and the playboys were in 'Tornado In the Saddle' (1942).

So either you heard it in the movie, or in one of his song intros.

Bob Wills:

 http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0932620/ 

Thanks for your question.

Clarification of Answer 


Upon further research, he also starred in other movies, with/without his band, so I can't say for sure which movie he said it in without having access to them. You might want to post onto the Western Swing mailing list, because I've found a string of posts detailing Bob Wills movie career along with one poster using your quote at the end of his post. But since you asked who said it, and not in which movie, I hope narrowing it down to a handful of movies helps you out.

Meaning of the phrase "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies!"?

Does anyone know the meaning. I know Lewis Grizzard wrote a book by this title, but that is all I know.


It's just a bit of humour, no deep meaning other than to make sure your actions fit the circumstances.

  • It seems like most of the responses above are written by shetland pony riders. It means that these people (the pony riders) are lowly, under-achievers who cannot ride with the "big boys". I work in an area where the town cannot afford to hire anyone with actual experience, so everyone working for the town has no experience and no clue how to really achieve what is necessary. They're all riding shetland ponies...

  • Hi! Yes. When I was 3 years old my father gave me a Shetland pony. I had it until I was 12, but couldn't ride it after I was about 6 or 7. I was too big, by then... He was a wonderful pet and I thought I was the biggest deal ever! }:>