SEO

June 18, 2011

Charles Poynton Invented HDTV Square Pixels

Charles Poynton Invented square pixels and 1080

It was 20 years ago today (approximately) that I launched the effort – ultimately successful – to establish square sampling (“square pixels”) as the standard for HDTV.

I am the inventor of the number 1080 found in HDTV standards. My efforts resulted in my being awarded SMPTE’s David Sarnoff Gold Medal. See the entries toward the bottom of my Video Engineering page. (My pal Don Craig, who received a Sarnoff medal for a different and well-deserved reason, tells me that his density check reveals that it's gold plated, not solid gold. However, the company that he and a few of his colleagues founded was just sold for USD 306 M, so he's not too upset.)

Charles
2010-05-09

Charles Poynton Invented square pixels and 1080 It was 20 years ago today (approximately) that I launched the effort – ultimately successful – to establish square sampling (“square pixels”) as the standard for HDTV. I am the inventor of the number 1080 found in HDTV standards. My efforts resulted in ...»See Ya