SEO

September 8, 2009

Re: Our Favorite Band (the band) WHEN I'M REALLY DEPRESSED I CONSIDER POSTING ANSWERS TO 10-YEAR-OLD QUESTIONS ABOUT MY BAND, BUT I USUALLY JUST SPELLCHECK IT AND POST IT INSTEAD

Re: Our Favorite Band (the band)

>I stumbled upon an album by Our Favorite Band (OFB)
>which had Michael Stipe listed as a guest vocalist. I also recall seeing a
>Scorcher listed as a "guest" musician as well... Can anyone tell me anything
>about this band/release? It was on Bedtime. It was still sealed (and a
>cutout), but I need more convincing that it's worth the $15 the dude was
>skin' for! (I'm especially cautious, due to the fact that he had a sealed
>Dead Milkmen - "Big Lizard" LP for $25 and a used (which cover wear) "Metal
>Machine Music" album for $40!)
>

I remember being terribly underwhelmed by it when released, expecting a
more Scorchers sounding record. Of course, that was years ago and now I'm
more amenable to the country sound.

I bet that didn't help one bit.

Jeff


Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:00:23 -0500

Our Favorite Band first put out a 7" vinyl PEP on Praxis Records. Yes, the very same label that put out the first Jason & The Nashville Scorchers REP. It´s sort of lo-fee kind of trash country. The LP however, is much better produced and is full of great "alternative" country. Check it out! Jerked Sound Asleep Records Sweden PS. Does anyone know what ever happened to the band after the LP?
maul

i wouldn't exactly call myself a music scholar, but i actually had or have
this in my collection of vinyl, and i actually went and searched for it when
you posted this the first time but i had no luck, so i dunno if it's been
lost or just hiding from me. i remember there being some scorchers
connection - Warner or Jason h'm thinking??? and maybe h'm completely
spacing out but wasn't there some Alex Chilton connection, too? it's been
so many years ago i honestly can't remember what it sounded like. that was
back in the days i listened to the replacements, dream syndicate, love
tractor, etc almost exclusively... that was

back in the days i listened to the replacements, dream syndicate, love

tractor, etc almost exclusively... >>

I wanna say it was Warner...the front of the album listed a whole slew of
guests. I recall Doug Easley's name on the list as well...and wouldn't be
surprised if Mitch Easter were on there...but h'm not too sure.

and you're trying to tell me that you no longer listen to the 'Mats, Dream
Syndicate, etc. almost exclusively anymore??? I'm very disappointed in you!
<g>

Paul

np: Buffalo Tom - Smitten
so this really isn't much help, sorry.

ro
This guy can write and he can sing and his band does back him and it's all
getting delivered, and with the needed production capability behind him for
maybe a fuller sound on disc than he's yet given here we have a new
heavyset alt.country contender. The Steve Earle meets Buck Owens (or,
at least, Dwight Y oakum) comparison is valid enough--and on some of the
ballads he sounds a bit like Buddy Miller as well.

But that's to say he rifts shows up doing that level of work (how much
higher than this van you get around here)...and I just want to stress that
the work's original. It;s NOT that he's really borrowing stuff from these
people in sensibility; he's got something of his own here--which you hear
in the rockiness' wit of something like "The Bum You Say I Am"--and in some
seedling slow ones, like the album closer "Can't Take This Anymore"...It's
almost always a good sign when somebody who can rock and/or honky tonk out
like this comes through with the ballads too.
Mom has this one, and several other places online...and don't hesitate.

Barry

Another thumbs up on Cisco