SEO

September 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Bruce Springsteen - Monitor Mix Blog : NPR glad SLEATER KENNY'S FEELIN' THE BOSS BDAY, CUZ I COULDN'T WORK UP TO IT

Happy Birthday Bruce Springsteen

I first heard Bruce Springsteen when my mom got the Born in the USA LP for Christmas. It was 1984. I loved the cover artwork: blue jeans, an American flag and a baseball cap. It was simple and iconic and sort of sexy. As a family, we listened to the album constantly, the whole way through (the way you did with LPs). We sang along and I studied the lyric sheet. I remember thinking: This is grand. This is American music.

My dad also owned Darkness on the Edge of Town, an album which wasn't as accessible to me as a child, but which would later become my favorite Springsteen album. I can't listen to Darkness without marveling at how it seems born anew with each year. The songs are prescient and timeless, like they're racing along next to us, always on par with the here and now.

Bruce Springsteen turns 60 today! And because I'm so relieved to be celebrating someone's life, as opposed to mourning a death, here are some videos of The Boss.

Please share your own thoughts about Bruce Springsteen.

Happy Birthday Bruce Springsteen - Monitor Mix Blog : NPR