SEO

August 31, 2009

PHILLIP GARRIDO VAN Highlights - BOINGBOING


PHILLIP GARRIDO VAN Highlights - BOINGBOING

Top 100 highlights

Source: http://www.boingboing.net/2009/08/31/did-google-street-vi.html#more

  • Weighing in on that post, an astute BB commenter noticed that if you do a Google Maps search for 1554 Walnut Avenue, Antioch, CA -- the address of the Antioch home where Garrido detained Jaycee Dugard (and her children, fathered by rape) -- you can see an overhead view of all the tents, tarps and sheds that Garrido's parole officer(s) and local police were too incompetent to bother checking, despite the fact that the guy was a convicted rapist. (3)
  • (BB Video) Mighty Boosh: Live at the Roxy / Pocket Book of Boosh (pt. 4 of 4) (326)
  • I think it's interesting that google street view caught pics of the scene and the van, not because of my interest in gawking at crimes, but my interest in all things interne (231)
  • "..local police were too incompetent to bother checking, despite the fact that the guy was a convicted rapist." (163)
  • I hope you do not find these questions disrespectful; it is of course your blog; I have been reading it for a few years now, and this isn't the first time I've wondered about this (c.f. e.g. Jim Jones coverage), so I hope you will regard this as a sincere query and not a drive-by trol (58)
  • The day Xeni Jardin stops being delightfully obsessed by things like this will be a sad day for bOING bOING indeed! (127)
  • Th ntl pst n ths stry ws f ntrst n tht th lw fld t d t's dty prprly nd tht ggl mps cld hv bn sd t ssss th prprty f ths crmn (35)
  • If folks don't dig it, move along to the next BB post, or if it's so upsetting that you don't want to tune in, by all means don't. (191)
  • Previously on BB: The blog of Philip Garrido, serial rapist and kidnapper: "sound control" gadget hallucination (20)
  • People, for some reason, love to think that the police just walk around tasing people to death - but the reality of it is that there are tens of thousands of them out there following the procedures, doing their jobs, and putting themselves at risk to protect some of the most ungrateful people on the plane (244)
  • Jimwich and others, I take your point that many readers may actually just enjoy the simple macabre obsession for what it is, but (running with this for a moment) surely the reactions of shock and outrage from less-macabre straight people (like me?) are part of what makes that fun? (180)
  • I read about 30% of the articles on BB... many simply don't interest me, the occasional one I even find a little tasteless. (139)
  • If others want to engage in that sort of analysis here, I'm totally cool with that, so long as there's no "WAAAAAH WAHHHH THIS ISN'T WONDERFUL" or "YOU SUCK FOR FINDING THIS INTERESTING." Sorry, those are magic words that earn you a can of whupass and a lack of vowels around these part (202)
  • This was perhaps excessive, although I notice that particular (anonymous) comment never made it onto the website, but is still being held by approval for the moderator, who perhaps felt that anonymous criticism of your serial killer coverage was toxi (53)
  • That said, it doesn't matter which way you "turn" the Googlemobile once you leave the street, the van doesn't follow you, or at least not with the permutations of potential routes I followe (238)
  • I'll just say one more thing, which was that I really freaked out when reading the Jim Jones coverage and audiotape transcripts (check my comments), and Takuan stepped in with a very helpful "just look away" and a sutra for banishing demons (I still love Takuan for that (112)
  • We've heard other stories about kids not getting saved from horrible environments when social services or the police failed to follow up on a solid lead but I've not read about any of that happening here. (210)
  • he followed the google van because he thought it had a box that could see other peoples thought (130)
  • Shortly after the vaguely-similar serial killer Fred West was discovered in the UK, I walked past his house in Gloucester. (50)
  • boy oh boy, after 8 years finally make a my first comment, and it makes a secondary blurb, AND co-incidentally that day i had put on my boingboing 'bunbun' tshirt on for the first tim (29)
  • (BB Video) Mighty Boosh: Live at the Roxy / Pocket Book of Boosh (pt. 4 of 4) (339)
  • I think the authorities in Gloucester were wise to demolish the West's house and turn the site into a garden... perhaps this will happen here too. (204)
  • @Ian, I appreciate the fact that you're a regular reader, and that you've taken the time to share the strong feelings you have about this particular pos (186)
  • Sometimes you find yourself teasing apart conflicts between such values, and a little patience never hurts with those who are working their way through such issues; confusion can happen to any of us, from time to time, and I doubt that anyone is immune from such philosophical puzzles just because they know the k00l places to hang out. (286)
  • I realize that would be a very boring project to undertake, at least the car counting end of i (279)
  • tried to explain it to my father, who then got the impression that it was some little spycar taking photos of his property and machinery (possibly to report to the local council or tax department...?) and went to talk to the 'google man', who got scared and hooned off before dad could get to him! (262)
  • Well, one of the more amazing things mentioned in all the coverage around this story has been that the sedan that the stepfather saw her get snatched into back in 1991 was found in the guy's driveway after he was arreste (44)
  • This guy was a felon on parole, but he still has a decent amount of rights - and unfortunately those rights allowed him to commit these crimes. (242)
  • Even mutants can freak out and it is an enlightened countercultural community that gently sets them straight rather than tearing them to bits like piranhas -- I'm glad the latter did not happen here -- thanks BB commenters for your understanding (293)
  • Since when I read Reddit comment threads I always think that they are exactly what I would imagine the comment threads here *ought* to be like. (256)
  • I doubt I could leave a tent up in my backyard for a week before I'd get a reminder from my city that I'm not allowed to put up permanent structures without a permit. (109)
  • If the freakin' neighbors didn't know this was going on while they lived 10 feet away from it for 18 years, how would you expect the police to know? (210)
  • I apologize for expressing my personal discomfort in such a muddled outpouring. (281)
  • He lived with his wife in a home he owned, worked at this own business, He was a man of religion, he showed no obvious signs of illegal drugs use, and he didn't engage in gang activities. (164)
  • As far as I know - having various tents in your back yard isn't considered probable cause for an investigation, convicted felon or no (241)
  • I think I've said about as much as I want to say about my own subjective, internal emotional or intellectual reasons for blogging about this subject. (187)
  • Pull your POV out of that driveway, moving away on Walnut toward Bown, and look backwards toward the house on Street View. (11)
  • I feel that is a perfectly understandable tone for a blog pos (83)
  • For those of you who choose not to use vowels in your comments I hope you realize that for every 1 of you who think its is clever or perhaps are too lazy to use words, there are many who don't read you because we are too lazy to work at dcfrng yr nnsnc (75)
  • I can't be alone among the many old school fans 'n pals that constantly wonder why the comment threads here so often go off the rails. (254)
  • And I would expect that a reasonable society would put a convicted kidnapper and rapist on life parol (226)
  • Antinous, I believe you and I have an e-date to work on that flow chart today, anyway. (72)
  • If you think that, even so, my questions are outside your notional flow-chart then yes, I probably could use a copy of that char (90)
  • I think the blame here falls more on the judicial system that allowed this guy to be put back on the streets far more than law enforcement itsel (242)
  • Xeni responded to my Jim Jones freakout with a rather more thoughtful comment about the public interest of her post, and I had hoped to solicit something simila (114)
  • In posting a comment about my own experience (of feeling rather sleazy after checking out Fred West's place), I sought to relate to her experience (85)
  • Hm. I saw the google car driving near my place one day, and actually came down the lane to our farm. (260)
  • I wouldn't seek to suppress that; no-one should; I would like to emphasize and affirm my believe in that fairly critical point of internet cultur (86)
  • I wonder if you will disemvowel or block my comment. (62)
  • I'll make sure to report back to the world on our finding (72)
  • I wonder if you will disemvowel or block my commen (68)
  • As for Jimwich @44, I appreciate your efforts to defend and define a cherished space, you old-school zine-scener. (286)
  • Reading about others' crimes might give such a person a little vicarious thrill, easily masked -- even to themselves -- by their righteous indignation at the heinous nature of the crim (272)
  • JOHNROWLEY can control internet flame wars with his mind! (216)
  • I realized this was a form of serial killer voyeurism and I immediately felt guilty. (50)
  • (ps, i dont live in a tent, and he is my real father! (264)
  • What is interesting about this post isn't "OMG LETS FOLLOW HIMMMMM", but that Google actually caught him by coincidence. (94)
  • Thank you (and Antinous, and several commenters) for patiently explaining the flowchart and giving me space to figure out what I wanted to say in a non-offensive wa (281)
  • Slightly off-topic, have you seen the shelf of science fiction that was found on the Garrido property? (118)
  • Photos : Here's the Flickr set I created of the sequence within Google Maps . (18)
  • Spare us your theories about how it's the downfall of western culture that some of us are fascinated by the gruesome underbelly of the world we live i (142)
  • rd yr cvrg n th lst pst nd t nvr rlly cm t nythng thr thn mcbr ntrst. (41)
  • So, no, that's not the "very same van" she was pulled into 18 years ag (45)
  • Doctor Who Exit Interview: David Tennant + Russell T. Davies, with Richard Metzger (BB Video) (325)
  • Doctor Who Exit Interview: David Tennant + Russell T. Davies, with Richard Metzger (BB Video) (338)
  • A followup on this earlier BB post about the wacko blog and gadget hallucinations of kidnapper/rapist (now also a murder suspect) Phillip Garrid (2)
  • (FWIW, I think friendfeed is more interesting because real collaborative science is actually happening there, but I digress) (286)
  • He did not fit a threat profile directed historically at the urban poor and minorities, so he went unnoticed as he committed his crime (164)
  • Report this comment #6 posted by mdh , August 31, 2009 2:44 PM (46)
  • Posted by Xeni Jardin , August 31, 2009 2:15 PM | permalink (1)
  • They are supposed to assume that everyone with a tent in the backyard is a rapist? (210)
  • It's also possible he just happened to be driving in the same direction as the van, at the same tim (147)
  • I mean I remember hearing something about the cops coming to his house and not finding anything, but to enter his home they would need probably cause. (132)
  • Long conversations about whether this post is wonderful or not are utterly boring and banal. (191)
  • Could have been CNN, I read too many news sources at lunch), the police went to his property not to check on the tents, but because a neighbor had reported seeing children on the property and was a wee bit suspicious as a resul (233)
  • Back in the 'zine days we used to refer to nORMALs and other distinctly unhappy mutant (254)
  • Right in the 1554 Walnut Avenue driveway, you see a beat-up van with a rusty, trashed exterior, and what looks like a man behind the steering wheel. (5)
  • Go go, "supercreepay", knock yourselves out on the free ice cream, and I'll shut u (101)
  • thnk wht s trly crpy s yr cvrg f ths stry. (35)
  • Pls drp ths stry n (41)
  • Maybe I'm imagining this, and I probably need to stop obsessing about this story. (11)
  • ju2tin on Howie Tsui's Asian/Western hor. (316)
  • *Most* of us loyal followers share your curiosity with such subjects. (94)
  • Sick? Today, that's how it's viewed, but just look at all the historical cultures in which slavery -- the total control of another human being -- was an accepted nor (271)
  • Im sure you'd post that they caught your grandma on camera if that were true, als (94)
  • It would be interesting to crowd source a project to count how often other vehicles appear behind the Google cam car, for how long, etc. (277)
  • Y sm t hv mcbr rbbr-knckng ntrst n ths cs. (35)
  • "I expect "copied" or "appropriated" are better words than "influenced by". (317)
  • I won't engage further in meta-analysis about this post, though, that's boring and not where I want to spend my attention toda (201)
  • Russell Letson on The pleasure of reading storie. (314)
  • I was talking about and analyzing my own emotions, and asking Xeni if she could articulate hers (which she has done in the past). (174)
  • The final shot, before the van veers away, is at the top of this pos (18)
  • I mean obviously it would have been great if the cops stopped this guy a long time ago, but we still have to follow the rule of la (135)
  • Did Google Street View spot rapist/kidnapper Garrido? (0)
  • He doesn't have many of the rights that non-felons hav (155)
  • Yeah, it's a bit of Big Brother, but on the other hand, I'm relatively sure that there's no Garridos living in my 'hoo (109)
  • BB is still a "personal blog" for each of us who contribute. (195)
  • Here are the comments of Takuan's and Xeni's that I mentioned, from the Jonestown post. (291)
  • > readers may actually just enjoy the simple macabre (248)
  • Thr rsnng ws tht f th hs ws lft stndng t wld ttrct cnstnt vsts frm glsh crm trsts. (38)