The Club was located in an old theatre and TV studio. In 1927, when the building was just built it was the home of the "San Carlo Opera Company". It was then followed by theatres like "the New Yorker", "Casino the Paris", "Federal Music Theatre" to finally in 1943 become a TV studio of Columbia Broadcasting Co. (CBS). CBS used the place as a soundstage for radio and television and from this studio successful shows like the Johnny Carson show, Beat the clock and $64000 question were broadcasted. The CBS people called the place Studio 52, since it was their 52'nd studio (and it was not called Studio 53 as stated by many sources'). Because of the premises former use as a TV studio the name for the new club was first meant to be just the Studio, but since it was used to be called Studio 52 by CBS and it was located in W. 54'th Street someone came up with the name Studio 54. The choice wasn't hard - this WAS the name!!! CBS Studio 52 ticket Steve Rubell and Ian Schrager Many people had been interested in turning the old theatre into a nightclub. But it wasn't until the two (to become) owners, Steve Rubell and Ian Schrager, saw the place something really happened. They loved the place at once and only a week after they first saw it they had signed the lease. Both Steve and Ian had been working in the nightclub business before they managed to hit it off big time with "the Studio".