SEO

July 17, 2007

Art Pepper picked a peck of pickled peppers; a peck of pickled peppers Art Pepper picked

Art Pepper picked a peck of pickled peppers; a peck of pickled peppers Art Pepper picked. If Art Pepper picked a peck of pickled peppers, where's the peck of pickled peppers Art Pepper picked?
AppleMark

From: straightlife
Art Pepper, one of the world's greatest jazz players, was jailed and re-jailed and re-jailed repeatedly. Here at Terminal Island, he talks about his fate. A clip from a feature work in progress based on the book Straight Life, the Story of Art Pepper. Thanks to Don McGlynn for his footage of Art in performance from his documentary, Art Pepper: Notes from a Jazz Survivor.
"Straight Life, the Story of Art Pepper" was published in November 1979. Since then, people have wanted to make it into a movie. As co-author, as art's wife and then as his widow, I had my own ideas about how he should be portrayed, how his story should be told (with humor and a sense of fantasy and a lot of voice-over; I loved Art's words). And it was important to me that his own musical performances be used. So I wrote a script with Don McGlynn, (who made the documentary, "Art Pepper notes from a jazz survivor"). For more than ten years we shopped the script. Eventually, I even met with the star I wanted, Johnny Depp, who agreed to play Art. But during this long process I learned that none of my original concerns were answered by any of these efforts, and, from would-be producers, I experienced the gamut of movie lies, promises, and betrayals. Disgusted, I decided to give up. Then I decided to do it myself with my own money using my mini dv camera and Macintosh computer.

I realized right away that my lack of experience and resources would doom any attempt to create a slick product. I would make an amateurish movie. I hoped it would be charming. I would make the fascinating and ridiculous process of making the movie a part of the movie -- as a bid for the love and tolerance of the audience.

I found my stars: James Intveld as Art, Tracy Middendorf as Laurie, Lisa Joffrey as Diane. All are working actors. Jimmy is also a musician, singer, and songwriter; Director, Michael Rymer recommended him. Tracy (the ex-girlfriend of my son-in-law's school chum) won Ovation awards for her roles in "Summer and Smoke" and "After the Fall" in Los Angeles. Lisa was one of a small crew I employed to help me care for my mother who lived with me and was suffering from Alzheimers during her last years. Lisa's primarily a comedienne and does standup. Without Lisa's wit and willingness to go anywhere and try anything, Diane would be a big drag.